Aksharabhyasam is a sacred religious function which is performed in view of starting education to the child. Generally, this function is performed when the child completes two years of age and is in its 3rd year. As the mind of the child develops and is keen to learn various things in the world, this religious function called Aksharabhyasam is performed in the 3rd year as an initiation to start formal education.
The literal meaning of Akshara is 'alphabets' and the meaning of Abhyasam is practice. Hence this function is considered a pre-requisite as per the Hindu religion before the child starts going to formal education in school.
Important days for performing Aksharabhyasam at Basara Temple
There are four important days in the year when you can perform Aksharabhyasam function at Basara Sree Gnana Saraswati Temple in Andhra Pradesh. Following is the list of important days for the same.
- Vasant Panchami / Shri Panchami;
Vasanta Panchami also known as Siri Panchami which is celebrated on the fifth day after Amavasya (No Moon Day) in the Hindu month of Maagha marks the advent of spring season.The importance of significance of Basant Panchami is that it is on this day the Hindu Goddess of Learning / Wisdom - Goddess Saraswati is specially worshiped and children are taught writing their first words on this day in the Aksharabhyasam function. This year Vasanta Panchami falls on February 15' 2013 and it is very auspicious day to celebrate Aksharabhyasam on this day.
- Viyaya Dasami
Viyaya Dasami which is considered the most auspicious day of the year is celebrated on the 10th day of Dussehra - the Hindu festival of victory. This day very auspicious to perform Aksharabhyasam for children at Basara Temple.
- The other important day for celebrating Aksharabhyasam in the temple premises is Vyasa Pournami / Guru Pournami which is celebrated on the full moon day in the Hindu month of Aashaadam. This day is the birthday of Sage Veda Vyasa.
- And Sraavana Pournami / Raakhi Pournami is yet another important day when people throng to Basara temple for performing Aksharabhyasam of their kids.
So, if you are planning to visit the temple on any one of these important days for performing Aksharabhyasam of your child, then you need to follow the tourist guide to Basara Temple so that you can know more about the temple.
How to perform Aksharabhyasam
If you are planning to perform Aksharabhyasam for your child at Basara Temple, then you need to remember the following things:
- Carry at least 1 Kg of rice along with you which you need to spread on the slate at the time of Aksharabhyasam.
- For your convenience you can take a new cotton towel to keep the slate on it. But it is not compulsory.
- Carry little pasupu (turmeric powder) and kumkham with you to use it while performing pooja.
- Rest of the materials like slate, chalks, coconut, flowers and flower garland etc are available at the temple premises.
- Remember that these days are very important for performing Aksharabhyasam and there will be long lines. You need to wait for hours together in the lines. So try to reach the temple as early as possible so that you will be in the first slot for performing the function.
- Another important thing to keep in mind while you decide for performing Aksharabhyasam of your child at Basara Temple. This function is celebrated at mass and hundreds of families will be placed in front of the main deity. And the temple priest will be giving instructions on mike which you need to follow carefully for completing the function successfully. And yet another thing to keep in mind is due to heavy crowd, you find it difficult to sit at ease, so you try to keep all the materials in you lap and let your child too sit in the lap. This would make the process a bit easier.
- Remember to carry enough of dry foods like biscuits etc and water bottle for your child as the children get vexed in the long lines waiting for long hours. If possible carry a couple of favorite toys of your child, so that he / she sits engaged with the toy to avoid the fuss of your child in the long waiting line which makes you irritated at times.
- There are two options for performing the function at the temple premises - one is inside the temple premises right in front of the main deity and for which the ticket is a bit costly around Rs.500/-. While the other option is in any place in the temple premises outside the sanctum santorum and the ticket price to this is around Rs.50 / -. So, it depends on the affordability. But performing the Aksharabhyasam function of your child at Basara Temple is important and it is believed that the child is sure to have a good education through out and sure to have a bright career life.
Please remember that it is all up to your affordability and convenience only. If you are staying near by Basara, you can visit the temple by starting at the early hours of the day from your place. If not, you can take a hotel room in Nizamabad which is at a distance of 30 minutes from Basara. There are good number of luxury as well as budget hotels in Nizamabad and it is convenient to stay the previous night at this place and make your way to Basara temple the next day early in the morning.